Recent Posts

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Insticts

What do I do if a close family member wants to take my son for the weekend and "give me a break," but I completely disagree with the way she is around him? It also makes me nervous because some of her lifestyle choices don't go with the way I parent my child. I'm also a little uncomfortable with him in her house and driving with her. Nothing really big, but I just don't feel comfortable with him at her house and with some of the people she associates with. Is this something I need to get over or am I right to be overprotective in this situation? A break would be nice, but I know I'd be worried the entire time that he was okay.
Stacey P. Newark NJ

4 comments:

Christa said...

ooo, I deal with this all the time. I wouldn't even let my ceratin family member watch my child if they did so at MY house. As the parent you make the decisions about these things. Your gut instict or mother's intuition should always be trusted!

Tiffanyrose said...

I have to agree. Mothers are given that gift/right to help them understand what to do. No one else in the world has that, not relatives, not even the daddy has that gift. My MIL wants me to fly my 8 year old across the country by herself to spend a week with her. Theoretically it would be great but my insides are screaming NO, to young, not yet. I go by that gut.

April said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
April said...

If it's this one person, I say trust your guts too. Instincts are a handy helper! But if the issue is to let him go with anyone who isn't his parent, to trust someone else in general, that would be different. When someone offers, I know that they know me, so they are probably aware of a specific diet I have to keep for my kids. I offer to send things too so they don't have to provide, and I will be assured they won't have things that might make them ill. I know every parent has different styles, bt I ask bottomline: do they care about my child, and do they respect me as the parent? If the answer is es, sometimes diversity is good for kids to help understand you, and respect other adults too.

Post a Comment