Recent Posts

Friday, August 28, 2009

Mother of Necessity

Thorstein Veblen coined the phrase "Invention is the Mother of necessity". Well I've invented this because I'm a Mother who sees the necessity.

Anyone with kids has experienced "The Mother Load". Raising children is a 24/7 guessing game. There is no book on how to raise "your" child with detailed answers to all the many questions you may have along the way. We may find help from books, articles, family, or other parents, but let's face it...no Parent ever wants to admit that they don't know what is best for their own precious child. We all know that you don't pop out a baby and magically know in detail everything you are ever supposed to do or teach them...or that babies don’t just "pop out”. There are many topics that some may think of as "common Mommy sense" that may be completely foreign to other Parents. And most importantly, we all know that there are some questions that need asking to someone you will never have to look in the eye again.

I have 4 "Necessity" reasons as to why I've created this.

#1 After the birth of my son, it would have been just peachy if someone had explained to me that when I change his diaper I need to make sure that his "little me" was pointing down. Took about a week and an obscene amount of newborn Swaddlers and countless middle of the night sheet changes on my bed before we figured that one out on our own. I mean, I don't have one of those, how was I supposed to know? And now that I think about it I don't remember my husbands eyes actually being open for any of those middle-of-the night episodes

#2 My sweet neighbor has a very difficult baby. Since birth he has not been a good sleeper, he cries a lot, spits up constantly and is just all around an unhappy baby, albeit super cute. She's been to countless doctors and holistic healers alike but to sum things up, they all think that he will grow out of it. I've tried to help and support her the best I can through this, but it breaks my heart to see the stress and desperation taking it's toll on her and her family. I know she is not the only one who has gone through this. I know it.

#3 Some of my Mommy friends are very critical and judgemental toward some of the decisions and techniques of other Mommy's. To the point that if I do need advice or help, I wouldn't go to them. What works for some families doesn't work for others. It doesn't mean it's "wrong". It would be nice to have a network of Mom's to support and uplift each other and maybe say "Hey, this worked for us." or "My child went through that too." or "I've never been there but my thoughts are with you". No sideways glances and back-biting.

#4 It would've been super great if someone would've warned me ahead of time about the first bowel movement after child birth. That was...um...unexpected, to say the least. I'm still wondering where the "other baby" went since it was worse than labor and I got a cute baby out of that...I'm just sayin'. And seeing as how most Mom's don't sit around their play dates and talk about their latest BM, I have a feeling I'm not the only one that was caught by surprise with this. Definitely something every Mom-to-be should be warned of.

I know that every parent has experienced something the hard way that they wish someone had mentioned to them first. It only takes a second. Please share them!

This isn't just for new Parents, or Parents with little children. This is for everyone everywhere who has ever been around a child. Wether they be planning a family, first time parents, cultered parents of teenagers, Aunts and Uncles, or seasoned Grandparents.There are Parents out there that have figured out a way to do something that may help others in the same situation. Some may be having a hard time with a specific phase their child is going through and may just need to know that they are not alone or that it's a normal milestone. But how do we get them together? How do we get the word out? This is where the "Necessity" part comes in. I’ve started this blog as a Parent help, reference, support, and network. This is not an advice column. The advice and help you receive is from parents all over the world just like you. Email me your questions, situation, and concerns. I will post them on the site and as people respond, you can read through their comments and suggestions and pick what you think would work best for you and your family. This blog also gives you the opportunity to share the knowledge you’ve gained through your experiences that can help countless others out there. If you have discovered a technique or system that works for your family please share it. Someone out there may be in need of your help right now.

If you have ideas or suggestions for me on how to make this site easier to use or just all around fabulous please feel free to pass them along. This site is designed for parents and by parents.

By helping and supporting each other we can help mold these precious children into amazing, strong and confident adults!

itsthemotherload@gmail.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this is a great idea Cara. I know that I really appreciate talking to other mothers, we need to all stick together :) Heaven knows we all need uplifting and support!

They call me grandma said...

Good work Cara. As always I am amazed by the wonderful woman you are and the great talent you continute to show. I hope this works our just as you imagine it will!!

Post a Comment