Recent Posts

Friday, September 4, 2009

Night Up

We have 6 children fairly close in age. They are all married now, some with children of their own. When they were younger and especially thru the teen years it was always a challenge to find one-on-one time. So we started nights up. Each child got an extra hour after the rest went to bed. We spent this time playing games, talking, working on projects, or just watching a favorite show on TV. We would have a special treat . It was all their choice. It gave us talking time. I think gave them a sense of being special. This is key in big families. The kids knew it was a privilage not a right. They each looked forward to their night.
-David A. RTP, NC

2 comments:

Greg said...

We have two kids, 6 1/2 and 3 years. We do this for the 6 year old and he LOVES it! I stay home and the 3 year old gets me alone all day while my 6 year old is in school. We needed to find a way for the 6 year old to get one-on-one Mom and Dad time without his little sister right there demanding our attention. So every Friday night is his "Night Up". We let him choose what he wants to do with us for that hour. We can play a game, read books, wrestle with Daddy, play a video game together, watch a show on tv...etc. He loves having both his parents all to himself and the minute his "Night Up" is over, he's already planning for the next one. It also acts as a reward system, he knows if he doesn't behave during the week, then he doesn't get his "Night Up".

nc tate said...

In our house we have snuggle time. I have one in school and it is important for her to get her rest, I have one that is not in school yet and can have a more leisurly morning stay up a few minutes longer at night while I give snuggle time to my school age child. I also have a baby who typically comands most evening hours. So for us we do a tag team of snuggle. My husband will read/tell stories to our school age child while I bounce the fussy baby and put on a show for my older child who is not in school yet. Then my husband has snuggles with out nonschool older child while I still bounce my fussy one. Finally, it's the babys turn to go to bed followed closely by mom and dad and everyone eventually has their special time. I am sure all of this will change, but for right now it's what works for us.

Post a Comment